3 Villages ~ Trumptonshire
I guess if you have already looked around this site then you are already a fan of the Trumptonshire Trilogy that consists of Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley.
- Camberwick Green was the first children’s animated television show to be aired in colour on the BBC in 1966 during the 'Watch With Mother' lunchtime slot.
- All three series were created by the wonderful Gordon Murray, who celebrated his 90th birthday in 2011. Gordon wrote the scripts and made most of the characters.
- All the songs and sound effects were composed and performed by Freddie Phillips.
The original Trumptonshire trilogy - Camberwick Green, Trumpton and Chigley - was created using stop motion animation and actual 3D scaled down models.
- The model characters were eight-inches tall (without their hats). Their heads were made of ping-pong balls, and clothes out of foam latex.
- Each series title was a seperate location within the fictional English county of Trumptonshire.
- The original filming took place at the home of uncle and nephew, Bob Bura and John Hardwick, in Crouch End, London. It later moved to a disused church also in Crouch End.
- The entire trilogy consisted of 39 x 15-minute episodes.
- The narration and singing were courtesy of Brian Cant – the only voice you ever hear in all three series.
If you wish to know more about the wonderful characters and 39 episodes, I can do no better than highly recommend two superb websites that will educate, entertain and amuse you in equal measure:
The Trumptonshire Trilogy